Matt Mossholder on 15 Feb 2008 07:43:23 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Hard drive consolidation

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 10:21 -0500, TuskenTower wrote:
> From my Solaris daze, that I know that the S90single like scripts
> simple transitions to rcS.d.  There is some intelligence behind this,
> but I never tried figuring it out.  I verified that S90Single does in
> fact just transition to single user mode.  For fun, I rebooted my
> Linux desktop into Single User mode and networking was active.
> Depressed at this sorry abuse of run levels, I forgot to send this
> email yesterday.
>
> Amul

Amul,
	Not sure why you see this as abuse... if there are no network services
running, I can only see this as a good thing. Often, when in single user
mode, I need to add patches, grab config files from other machines,
etc.

	I realize this is the historic way things have been done, but as long
as the system not dishing out services to other systems, what is the
harm of configuring an IP address on the interface?

	Isn't this part of having a system that "just works"?

		--Matt