linux on 13 Feb 2008 23:45:17 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Hard drive consolidation

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 00:31 -0500, TuskenTower wrote:
> On 2/13/08, linux <linux@jondz.net> wrote:

 (snip)

> So, I could setup LVM, repartition the 160 HD and simply DD over the
> existing partitions.  I will take the machine down to run level 2 and
> stop all unnecessary services before running DD.  Yes I am making this
> harder than it needs to be, but it beats trying to use the keyboard
> and HDTV.

run level 2 is normal for debian/ubuntu, i believe single is run level
1.  I would unmount the disks i would dd to make sure nothing is writing
to the partition.   you cant unmount / (root) unless youre running off
another disk (knoppix), i personally just remount that one readonly
(probably not a good idea but i got away with it, i think its beacause
some of my boxes dont have cdroms).

> Holy smokes!!! Ubuntu is running with the GUI in run level 2.
>
> $ ls /etc/rcS.d/*networking
> /etc/rcS.d/S40networking
>
> I thought networking is supposed to be OFF in single user mode.
> Anyone know what gives with this setup in Ubuntu?

i'm surprised also, i dont recall either way but i checked my
ubuntu/debian boxes they all are similar.  but /etc/rc1.d/ have a bunch
of K's in there plus a "S90single".

jondz