Art Alexion on 23 Feb 2008 09:40:06 -0800

[PLUG] CUPS(?) problem

My machine has two parallel ports on a pci card which are detected as lp0
(parport0) and lp1 (parport1).

lp0 is connected to an HP5si using uri
hp:/par/HP_Laserjet_5si?device=/dev/parport0

It always seems to work fine.

lp1 is connected to an Epson Color Stylus 740 using uri parallel:/dev/lp1

This is where the problems occur.

Whenever I reboot, I no longer have access to lp1 to print.  The permissions
for both ports are set to 660 with ownership root:lp, but it is clearly a
permissions problem.  If I change permissions to 666, I can print.  I am in
the lp group, so this shouldn't be necessary.

This was set up with the kdeprint add printer wizard.  On a prior computer,
the Epson printer was set up with a uri EPSON:/Color_Stylus_740(something).
That's what the Epson escputil utilities look for, so parallel:/dev/lp1 isn't
working for those either.  I don't know if this is related.

Manually changing permissions as a workaround is the only thing I could find
with Google.