Brian Vagnoni on 23 Feb 2008 12:24:40 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Tech Book Publishers & Book Suggestions?

In general and again IMHO, if you are looking for answers to specific problems on line interactive is the best solution, or the Howto's. If you are looking to learn broad not necessarily specific to your individual problems, books are the best way to go. It sounds like you would be better served with the interactive method.

There is also the O'Reilly Cookbook series.

Brian Vagnoni

PGP Digital Fingerprint

F076 6EEE 06E5 BEEF EBBD BD36 F29E 850D FC32 3955

From: Brian Vagnoni [mailto:bvagnoni@v-system.net]
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List [mailto:plug@lists.phillylinux.org]
Sent: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 15:13:33 -0500
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Tech Book Publishers & Book Suggestions?

First, you won't find good books on Linux in book stores IMHO. Look on line, Micro Center use to have a great book department which has since been mostly taken over by games. University book stores can also have some good books (Drexel, Penn); but you will find most good books on line. The on line subscription services like Safari are also good if you don't mind reading on line. I personally have been hard coded since birth due to my age to prefer paper books. I also like books that are read to me as this way I can just sit and listen. Adobe PDF reader use to have a feature where the text could be read to you, but the encoding on the graphics use to mess it up.

There are a couple of series that I liked. The Dummies Series, Absolute Beginners, Cisco Press, & the Sams Unleashed Series. Stay away from any of the books that tells you that you can learn this or that in 24 hours.  Don't use test prep books unless you are going for CERTS. Though I did teach my self PERL in 48 hours, but that was after a few courses in C++, and VB.

Most businesses these days only carry what sells the most which isn't always the best solution for any given person. Most doc's for Linux are already on line. Try http://tldp.org/ which is an excellent source and clearing house for all Linux docs. Forums like http://www.linuxforums.org are also excellent sources of information as well as services like Experts Exchange which can free as long as you give support to other users.