Claude M. Schrader on 29 Feb 2008 19:19:08 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OLPC Comments

On 20:23 Fri 29 Feb     , jeff wrote:
> and I thought it was just me.....
>

> Aside from the giving aspect, it looked kinda neat (until I looked closer).
>
> As I checked further, I failed to get the Grand Hoo-Ha that was going on
> with reference to it.  It looked like an extremely anemic laptop wannabe.
>
> Since I fail to get quite a number of things, I just chalked it up to
> normalcy and resigned myself to waiting for something that was
> significantly more powerful than my Treo before I shelled out any money
> at all.  It almost seems like a proof of concept moreso than a product.
>   Or a camera on a cell phone.  Why?  Because we CAN.
>
> No WPA????
> You gotta be kidding....

To be honest, there were a lot of unusual design decisions that went into making the XO,
none of which were aimed at people at us. Things like making sure the
display is visable in bright equatorial sun, and having 6 hours -> many
days of battery life[1] were very important. They can also form a mesh
network with classmates laptops. The "target consumer" is lucky to have
any internet access at all, much less a wireless network with WPA. If you want a
subportable - perhaps an EEE PC, IBM X Series, or Macbook Air would be
more what you need.
Claude

[1] http://www.olpcnews.com/hardware/power_supply/olpc_xo_battery_life.html