John Von Essen on 1 Mar 2008 21:01:40 -0800

[PLUG] OT: Weird DNS quirk with Cavalier

I use Cavalier for DSL, so my name resolution on my PC defers to their
DNS servers.

I have noticed a very weird quirk.

It happens for "some" domains, but not others. If I do a lookup for
something that I know doesn't exist, sometimes the Cavalier DNS server
returns:

$ nslookup gfggdggredfdgd.apple.com
Server:         209.137.171.10
Address:        209.137.171.10#53

Non-authoritative answer:
*** Can't find gfggdggredfdgd.apple.com: No answer

But for some domains, it returns:

$ nslookup gfggfrgfddggdgd.ibm.com
Server:         209.137.171.10
Address:        209.137.171.10#53

Name:   gfggfrgfddggdgd.ibm.com
Address: 64.158.56.57
Name:   gfggfrgfddggdgd.ibm.com
Address: 206.112.100.154

It always returns these two bogus IPs for any domain you try. One is
swiped in ARIN as being allocated to FAST.NET, the other is allocated
to Level3, then sub-allocated to Co-location.com. Both IPs are not
active in any way.

I've never seen anything like this. Comically, I tried emailing
noc@cavtel.net - but it bounced back with a user unknown error!

-John