Sean C. Sheridan on 3 Mar 2008 11:57:16 -0800

Re: [PLUG] One True OS

Greg,

Don't even think about what you are thinking about.

1) The first issue, and most important, is what are those users doing on
their machines?  My guess, running applications designed for MS operating
systems.  You MUST start by surveying what users use.

2) Running MS on Linux requires a decent/high end machine.  If you use a
standard office machine, your computers will immediately become 50% slower
running the same applications.  (Ok, maybe it's not 50% but I promise it
will seem like it).  (unless they are all brand new desktops with the
virtualization chipset)

3) Doubling the number of operating systems and the fact that you do not
have a full time support person will increase, not decrease, the load on
your "programmer".

4) Some windows applications will not work under linux.  For example,
things that use DirectX.  DirectX calls need to be supported by a third
party provider... caledaga is the norm and they charge something like $15
per month.  Another example is hardware.  There are a ton of cards out
there with no linux drivers.  Imagine hooking up your new linux/win box
only to find you have no way to use the ethernet card or video card.

If you follow these steps, you will find:

Your machines are slower
Some software may not run
Some software may require additional costs/subscriptions/updates
Your workload, and that of your programmer, will increase.

Assuming you have a fast internal network, what you WANT to do is:
Set up a file server that runs something like Windows Server 2003.
(Enterprise version available on ebay for next to nothing).
Set it up as a domain controller.
Set it up as a file server.
Set it up as a print/fax server.
Set up home directories for your users.
Set up a shared public file folder for your users.
Run terminal server on it. (need a license)
Install all common software on the file server. (Acrobat doesn't play well)
Connect machines to the files server through Remote Desktop Management (RDP)

With this approach you will:

gain more control over your users
control what they can do with their machines
manage a single central software installation
store all user files on the server reducing backup problems
potentially use dumb terminals as desktops (cheaper than full machines)
minimize user introduced viruses
centralize printing/plotting and other output devices
simply deployment

This is a fairly standard setup.

Sean C. Sheridan
scs@CampusClients.com