Mark M. Hoffman on 15 Mar 2008 13:11:20 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Business FiOS and routers

Hi Tom:

* Tom Diehl <tdiehl@rogueind.com> [2008-03-12 21:53:11 -0400]:
> I have a small dilemma, I have been running a WRT54GL running openwrt for a
> couple of years. Last year I upgraded to 5x5 business FiOS. This worked fine
> until yesterday. Yesterday I found out that Verizon is offering 15x15 FiOS
> for $70.00/mo less than I am currently paying for my 5x5 connection. So I
> suddenly found that I need to upgrade. :-) The problem is that the network
> ports on the WRT54GL are only 10 meg and I now have 15meg FiOS and I would like
> to have access to the full bandwidth. So I am now in the market for a new small
> low power consumption machine that I can put 4 or more 10/100 Nics in and will
> run some Linux distro. I am currently looking at Mini-itx and routerboard
> solutions but I am wondering if anyone has any other recommendations?

FWIW: I have WRT54GL w/ openwrt also.  With Verizon FIOS 2/15, I can hit
the full 15Mbit down from both wired and wireless.  I have no idea why
so many other people are recommending replacement equipment, especially
the expensive stuff.

Hope that helps; regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman