Stephen Gran on 19 Mar 2008 17:16:53 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Sendmail configuration

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 03:37:48AM +0530, Deepan said:
> Hi All, I am using sendmail via php mail function to send emails.
> However few servers reject my mails with the error 'Sender address
> rejected: Domain not found', since mails from my server are sent as
> email@localhost.localdomain. How do I change this to a valid domain
> name ? We only own a public IP.  we dont really have a domain name, is
> it possible to use IP ?

You don't really want to do that.  Address literals are mostly flagged
as spam these days.  If you're sending mail from a machine that doesn't
exist in DNS, and you don't really have a domain name, stop and
reconsider - you've just raised a bunch of flags that make you look an
awful lot like a zombie'd windows machine on residential DSL.

That being said, sendmail.mc (or if you're brave, sendmail.cf) has ways
of masquerading your domain to appear to be something than what it is.
Also php has built in methods of altering the from address in email.
|  Stephen Gran                  |  The Arkansas legislature passed a law  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | that states that the Arkansas River can |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | rise no higher than to the Main Street  |
|                                | bridge in Little Rock.                  |