Brian Vagnoni on 24 Mar 2008 09:43:12 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Disk Transfer Speeds

>From what I've read network speed auto negotiation is a real throughput killer. Interfaces should be manually set to 100mB full duplex if the card and switch can handle it. Also check for accessive broadcast traffic another throughput killer.

Brian Vagnoni
PGP Digital Fingerprint

F076 6EEE 06E5 BEEF EBBD BD36 F29E 850D FC32 3955

-----Original Message-----
From: Casey Bralla <MailList@NerdWorld.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2008 7:15 AM
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Subject: [PLUG] Disk Transfer Speeds

How fast are file transfers on your computer?

Recently, I noticed that some of my networked servers seemed very slow.  On large (100+
MByte) file transfers, I was getting rates less than 1 MBit/sec.  Changing out an old
10 MBit/sec hub to a 100 MBit/sec switch increased the speed to about 8-9 MBits/sec.
A little more investigation revealed that *local* transfers (on the same disk) maxed
out at about 9 MBits/sec.  This seems to point to a limitation on the disk itself.

This still seems slow to me.

I've got a fairly good computer:  AMD 3400+, 2 GBytes of RAM, Gentoo, KDE, ReiserFS,
Disk DMA active, with a half-dozen programs running.

I'm curious what speeds other people get with large files.  (Gotta be sure that the
file is bigger than the cache to keep from getting bogus numbers)

--

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence