JP Vossen on 28 Mar 2008 15:03:08 -0700

Re: [PLUG] wmgk

 > http://tuner1.dc1.sonixtream.com/playlists/wmgk/wmgkWMGKFM.asx

That worked for me in VLC also, though it resolved out to
mms://bdcast-greatermedia-wmgk-fm.wm.llnwd.net/bdcast_greatermedia_wmgk-fm?MSWMExt=.asf
and took a while to buffer and start.

Neither one worked in Rhythmbox (Gutsy); in fact they both locked it up.
  Both of these work in Rhythmbox though:
http://provisioning.streamtheworld.com/pls/KYWAMDIALUP.pls
http://smoothjazz.com/streams/smoothjazz_128.ram

In fact, ANY station owned by CBS will work as:
http://provisioning.streamtheworld.com/pls/ {call letters}{AM|FM|HD2}
DIALUP.pls

See http://forums.slimdevices.com/archive/index.php/t-34358.html for an
interesting list.  Wikipedia also has amazing info on any/every radio
station I've ever checked (81 last week or so).  And there are other
lists of streaming stations (Google for them) that may allow you to
"decode" the idiotic obfuscations some stations try to use.

Here's a partial M3U playlist we use on our MediaMVP (using F/OSS mvpmc
firmware):
#EXTM3U
#
#EXTINF:-1,WKYW AM 1060 KYW News Radio Delaware Valley
http://provisioning.streamtheworld.com/pls/KYWAMDIALUP.pls
#
#EXTINF:-1,Hear Philly (KYW + GPTMC) Local Philly Internet
http://provisioning.streamtheworld.com/pls/HEARPHILLYDIALUP.pls
#
#EXTINF:-1,WHYY FM 90.9 NPR Public affairs/News/Talk Delaware Valley
http://207.245.67.204/listen.pls
#
#EXTINF:-1,WPSU FM NPR News/Classical Music Penn State
http://mp3.wpsu.org:8000/listen.pls
#
#EXTINF:-1,WPSU2 FM Variety Penn State
http://mp3hd.wpsu.org:8000/listen.pls
#
#EXTINF:-1,SmoothJazz.com Smooth Jazz Internet
http://64.15.67.14
#
#EXTINF:-1,KTWV FM 97.4 The Wave Smooth Jazz Los Angeles
http://provisioning.streamtheworld.com/pls/KTWVFMDIALUP.pls
#
#EXTINF:-1,WSJT FM 94.1 Smooth Jazz Tampa Bay
http://provisioning.streamtheworld.com/pls/WSJTFMDIALUP.pls
[...]
#EXTINF:-1,KZOK HD2 Classic Rock Seattle
http://provisioning.streamtheworld.com/pls/KZOKHD2DIALUP.pls
#
#EXTINF:-1,WNCX FM 98.5 Classic Rock Cleveland
http://provisioning.streamtheworld.com/pls/WNCXFMDIALUP.pls
#
#EXTINF:-1,WZLX FM 100.7 Classic Rock Boston
http://provisioning.streamtheworld.com/pls/WZLXFMDIALUP.pls
#
#EXTINF:-1,KZJK FM 104.1 Jack Minneapolis
http://provisioning.streamtheworld.com/pls/KZJKFMDIALUP.pls
[...]

If anyone else has mvpmc, I can tell you a) how to set this up trivially
and b) how to use it to decode many (not all) obfuscated URLs.  Any
station using a Flash player or some Windows only ones just won't work.
  But enough will decode into .pls to make it worth while.

Later,
JP