Elizabeth Bevilacqua on 29 Mar 2008 08:52:33 -0700

[PLUG] [plug-announce] April 2nd, 2008: The April Fools RFCs & Is "Software as a Service" (SaaS) the end of System Administration?

 ._____. .__________________________________________________________________.
 | ._. | | .______________________________________________________________. |
 | |_| |_|_|___.                                                   _____  | |
 |___| |_____. |   The Philadelphia Area Linux Users Group        | ._. | | |
 .___|_|_| |_| |   (PLUG) cordially invites you to our next   .___| |_|_|_| |
 | ._____| |___|     meeting, Wednesday, April 2nd, 2008      | ._| |_______|
 | | | |_| |         at The University of the Sciences in     | |_|_|_| |___.
 | | |_____|              Philadelphia, Pennsylvania          |_______| |_. |
 | |______________________________________________________________| | | |_| |
 |__________________________________________________________________| |_____|

 Tom Limoncelli will be coming down from NYC for this meeting which will
 include a short talk on April Fools RFCs, and then a longer presentation on
 "Software as a Service" (SaaS).

 Title: The April Fools RFCs: http://www.rfc-book.com

 Every year the IETF publishes dozens or hundreds of RFCs, and in April
 some of them are parodies.  Tom Limoncelli (and Peter Salus) have
 published them all in a new book.  Here the funny tale of their 4 year
 journey to publishing commentary about the world's geekiest humor
 book.

 Title:  Is "Software as a Service" (SaaS)[0] the end of System
 Administration?

 Tom will present talk about his new book, the 2nd edition of the
 award-winning "The Practice of System and Network Administration"
 (http://www.EverythingSysadmin.com) and will discuss
 how "Web 2.0" and "Disintermediation"[1] affects the IT world.  How
 can we complain that the RIAA is applying out-dated laws to new
 technology, yet at the same time pride ourselves in enforcing policies
 born from the mainframe era?  Is SaaS the disintermediation that will
 eliminate system administration or free our users?

 [0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_as_a_Service
 [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disintermediation

 The meeting will take place from 7-9pm at:

       University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (USP)
       Griffith Hall C
       600 South 43rd Street
       Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495

 USP is located in University City.  Driving directions are
 available at <http://www.phillylinux.org/locations/usp.html>, or
 <http://www.usip.edu/directions/>, both of which have an aerial
 view of the campus buildings.  USP is also easily accessible by
 public transportation.

 There will be an open Question & Answer session at 7PM, prior to
 the main presentation at 8PM.  This is an open meeting; all are
 welcome, and encouraged to attend.

 Usually, a number of members get together after the meeting at a
 nearby restaurant for food and perhaps a beer or two. Come join the
 camaraderie!