JP Vossen on 3 Apr 2008 02:02:51 -0700

[PLUG] Mythbuntu, Gutsy and Backports; Oops

Bottom line up front: I accidentally upgraded to MythTV 0.21 from 0.20,
which caused some compatibility issues between client and server since
both must speak the same protocol (31 --> 40).  (Why it's not backward
compatible is beyond me.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ubuntu Side

I just did a dist-upgrade on my Myth TV server, but I forgot that
gutsy-backports was in my sources.list for some reason.  I'm not sure if
that is or was a Mythbuntu thing, or if I did that in a moment of
insanity, but it's there.  So I got libmyth-0.21-0 and so forth which is
NOT compatible with Gutsy-regular libmyth-0.20-0.  (There is no reason
for this, except MythTV is perverse and will only talk to a Myth server
using the *same* protocol, no backwards compatibility!  That sucks.  The
mvpmc project has worked around that by simply hacking their client to
lie and claim to use whatever protocol the server want, so it can be done.)

Anyway, not a *big* deal, as I can just add gutsy-backports to my 2
MythTV client machines, pin them, and be happy.  Which I did.  But it
was an unexpected and unpleasant surprise, even though I basically did
it to myself.  It also seems like themes got re-orged, as I had to go
manually install mythtv-theme-mythcenter.

See also https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MythTV Side

Everything I tested [1] worked OK except Weather.  The Netflix has fixed
the broken HTML code and also correctly displays cover shots now too.
Weather is very different, and I find the new setup method very tedious
and unintuitive.  But once set up there's a really impressive list of
stuff you can display though.  For the local screens I needed to use
"Pottstown"; for the maps and severe weather I use "Northeast".  NOT
intuitive, and you have to do it for each screen you want.  OTOH, you
can have as many different screens as you want, all set up however,
which is really flexible.

The "Searching ... Results: 0" at the bottom of the Weather "screens"
setup page is also misleading.  It hasn't finished searching yet, so
there aren't zero hits, there are null hits.  It should be just
"Searching ..." then "Search Complete.  Results: N".

Also, the mythcenter add-on theme seems like it's buggy.  Going into the
weather screens setup on 2 out of 3 machines I tested there is a status
dialog with no text in it, and the "loading..." screen for Weather (once
set up) is broken.  G.A.N.T. is the default theme, but I find that
unbearably ugly.

See also http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Release_Notes_-_0.21

Just a note to hopefully save someone else a problem,
JP

[1] I tested watching live TV and recordings (with closed captions),
payback from the MediaMVP using the mvpmc firmware, various InfoCenter,
Manage/schedule recordings, and search functions, and probably more I'm
forgetting.