Michael Leone on 3 Apr 2008 05:19:48 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux on Iphone

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 12:11 AM, Claude M. Schrader
<plug@claudeschrader.com> wrote:
>  > I can maybe see this one ... of course, using IM on a phone is typing a
>  > conversation, rather than using the phone as a phone, and actually
>  > *speaking* to the person at the other end ... <G>
>  >

>  I'd venture to guess that at this point, 99% of new phones sold include
>  SMS messaging, and many include built in IM, and email clients. Talking to
>  people is overrated anyway :-)

:-) I know, I text a friend of mine a lot. But those are really short,
1 sentence sort of statements. Kind of like Twitter tweets, as it
were. It's not a full "conversation", not enough to justify a full IM
client. Mine are more on the line of "Beer tonight?" or "Did you get
lost on the way to the bar?".

... hmmm ... I'm beginning to smell a pattern there .... <G>

Still, it's probably cheaper to IM over the Internet (which might be
included in your monthly plan) than to pay long distance charges to
speak to a person on the phone (altho that could be covered by the
plan,. too).