Claude M. Schrader on 2 Apr 2008 20:31:33 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux on Iphone

On 20:06 Wed 02 Apr     , Michael Leone wrote:
> OK ... to what end? Yes, that's a serious question. What would you like
> to do with the iPhone that you can't do with the Apple software, or with
> applications that can be developed with the new iPhone SDK? What would
> having Linux on your iPhone gain you?
>
> No, I don't have an iPhone.

I do have an iPhone, and love it, but there are reasons why you
could justify running alternate firmware on the phone - the most likely
case would be an altered version of the iPhone build of OSX. There are
video and audio codecs which could be added to the iphone. There are also many
things the SDK specifically disallows, such as running interpreted code,
means no java, no flash, no firefox plugins. Running an app in the
backround is also disallowed - which makes things like IM clients less
than useful. I'm not saying I would ever do this, or that I think its
right...but there are reasons to do it, other than "because we can".
Claude