Michael Leone on 2 Apr 2008 20:56:55 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux on Iphone

Claude M. Schrader wrote:
> On 20:06 Wed 02 Apr     , Michael Leone wrote:
>> OK ... to what end? Yes, that's a serious question. What would you like
>> to do with the iPhone that you can't do with the Apple software, or with
>> applications that can be developed with the new iPhone SDK? What would
>> having Linux on your iPhone gain you?
>>
>> No, I don't have an iPhone.
>
> I do have an iPhone, and love it, but there are reasons why you
> could justify running alternate firmware on the phone - the most likely
> case would be an altered version of the iPhone build of OSX. There are
> video and audio codecs which could be added to the iphone.

OK .. altho that may come about from an application built using the SDK?

> There are also many
> things the SDK specifically disallows, such as running interpreted code,

I can probably see why not - I doubt the processor in an iPhone would be
  fast enough for a useful user experience, using interpreted code. But
not being a programmer or a phone hardware geek, I may not know. I would
just look at it from a user point of view.

Well, VOIP over edge would be taxing the edge bandwidth, right? Perhaps
I'm misunderstanding why that would be a good thing. Edge networks have
lesser bandwidth, and VOIP is bandwidth-intensive, no?

> This means no java, no flash, no firefox plugins.

Well, that does rule out a lot of sites, I'll grant you. The other end
of that question is ... are those sites you'd want to see on a small
phone, with limited memory and bandwidth? But I can see that.

> Running an app in the backround is also disallowed - which makes things like IM clients less
> than useful.

I can maybe see this one ... of course, using IM on a phone is typing a
conversation, rather than using the phone as a phone, and actually
*speaking* to the person at the other end ... <G>