Brian Vagnoni on 8 Apr 2008 18:37:10 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Comcast is Messing with My DNS

Brent is correct thanks for clarifying that. If they can see it, then they consider it public and therefore a violation of TOS. Yes, they do port scan, and yes they do watch all "inflowing" traffic.

From what their security/criminal data center people told me when they blocked port 25 was that it's mainly a SPAM issue.

Brian Vagnoni

PGP Digital Fingerprint

F076 6EEE 06E5 BEEF EBBD BD36 F29E 850D FC32 3955

From: brent timothy saner [mailto:brent.saner@gmail.com]
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List [mailto:plug@lists.phillylinux.org]
Sent: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 21:24:24 -0400
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Comcast is Messing with My DNS

Brian Vagnoni wrote:
> It's Comcast way of telling you that you are in violation of your TOS(NO
> SERVERS ON RESIDENTIAL ACCOUNTS).
(SNIP)

(ahem)

no *PUBLIC* servers on residential accounts.

it's in the contract. they can't tell you what you can and can't do
behind the router; that'd be pretty illegal.

and since most of his DNS setup here is internal, as far as i can
understand it...

--
brent saner.
gpg info at http://www.notebookarmy.org/gpg.txt