Brian Vagnoni on 8 Apr 2008 16:46:12 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Comcast is Messing with My DNS

If you have been filtered chances are you now have 30 days to either take the servers offline or be shut down totally. Unless of course you sign up for Business Class service, again if you haven't checked prices in a while you should. I'm personally paying the same amount I was with residential service. However, there is a cell phone like contract commitment with business class service; 1 or 2 years; no pay as you go.

Make sure you get the SMC 8014 and not the Netgear they have in some markets. If you get static ip's have them setup the smc8014 as a straight bridge this way you can use whatever firewall you like. I use a Sonicwall 1260 Pro with real WAN addresses.

They are all cracking down on the power users, both Verizon and Comcast.

Brian Vagnoni

PGP Digital Fingerprint

F076 6EEE 06E5 BEEF EBBD BD36 F29E 850D FC32 3955

From: Casey Bralla [mailto:MailList@NerdWorld.org]
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List [mailto:plug@lists.phillylinux.org]
Sent: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 16:33:08 -0400
Subject: [PLUG] Comcast is Messing with My DNS

I'm gettin' to think I'm going to have to dump Comcast in favor of FiOS. Recently,
Comcast started filtering my DNS server. I run my own authoritative DNS server for
several of my domains, and all my intranet computers use this DNS server.

Normally if a DNS server doesn't know an address, it queries the root servers to find
the correct authoritative server, then queries the authoritative server for the
address. Suddenly this past week, this no longer worked. Addresses queries would
time out. This meant no Firefox, no outgoing eMail, ugh!

I finally tried using the "forwarder" directive in BIND9 and pointed them to Comcast's
DNS servers. Voila, everything worked again. Earlier this year, Comcast started
filter port 25 which knocked my mail servers of the air. I can understand filter
the eMail port, since this is an anti-spam action, but this is all starting to get
old.

My only concern with switching is will FiOS also start to filter ports too? And will
my IP remain static enough to use?

Of course, I could simply upgrade to "business" class of service, but that would at
least double my monthly costs and my personal financial adviser (aka "Honey" & "Yes,
Dear") thinks I spend too much bloody money on this "hobby" as it is....
--

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence