Michael Leone on 10 Apr 2008 16:53:04 -0700

Re: [PLUG] ponderings on email servers, procmail, and ipod

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> I've been pondering paying a couple dollars a month for someone else
> to handle my email.  The advantage is just that I can turn my machine
> off and that I can have greater reliability (i.e., my ISP's quirks
> don't affect me as much).

I migrated my domain over to Google Apps. So now I don't run my own
Postfix server anymore.

> I've also been pondering using my ipod touch to read mail when I'm not
> at home.  Sort of like having a personal blackberry, maybe.  I dunno
> if I'll like it or not.  A counter argument is that maybe I like not
> being wired all the time.  I dunno.
>
> The hitch is that I can't imagine life without procmail between me and
> my email.  For example, I've already received 435 emails today, but
> only seen a dozen or two.  Probably a third were spam and over half
> were list mail of various sorts. That's the way I want it.

I do that using Google's filters. These filters aren't procmail regex
like, but no matter - they filter the mail as I want them to. Google
Apps is odd, in that everything is "labeled", not filtered out into
their own folders. So you see everything in your inbox, but they have
colored labels. So anything not labeled stands out.

> I'm curious how others have handled this and what thoughts this
> arouses from other nerdly folk who like the flexibility of having
> their own server but contemplate doing other things with their free
> time than managing a server.

I don't really have a reason to run a Linux server at home anymore -
Google does as good a job, if not better, at screening spam for me, and
they're always there for me to read via web interface, or Thunderbird
IMAP. And being on Comcast now, I can't run my own mail server, anyway.
So I rarely think about email anymore, except for reading it ...