Claude M. Schrader on 27 Apr 2008 20:57:21 -0700

Re: [PLUG] syslog - any easy way out?

On 21:14 Sat 26 Apr     , jeff wrote:
 I just want a syslog collector
> that will also display reasonable stats and help me to figure out where
> all the bandwidth is going when it suddenly goes sluggish.  And I want
> to be a rock star too, ok?

for tracking bandwidth, SNMP will give you more info. You can enable snmp
on most firewalls, switches, routers, APC gear, etc, etc. You can then
install an app such as Cacti or MRTG to organize and graph all this data.
Claude

P.S. wireshark/tcpdump is amazingly helpful for tracking down
network problems. They are pretty confusing at first, but its well worth
the effort to get really comfortable with them.