jeff on 26 Apr 2008 18:14:52 -0700

[PLUG] syslog - any easy way out?

I'm trying to get my Win servers' event logs together, as I've
mentioned, which is a PITA.  One of the suggestions was to port them to
syslog.

By coincidence, my SonicWall outputs syslog and I need to start paying
attention to the logs, both for stats and troubleshooting current events.

Someone else here was looking at ManageEngine (commercial), which I just
downloaded for both Win and lin.  It flatly refused to work under either
platform so that's off the list.

I tried various CLI solutions, which were mind-bogglingly complex or
fairly simple.  I'd prefer simple and somewhat more graphic.  Sometimes
I run a SonicWall dump through Wireshark, which works ok, but I might
like something more specific (before having to seriously learn
Wireshark).  We can use commercial but we're a non-profit and prefer OS.

Is there any way to do this without learning programming, regex and
various other skills I will never have?  I just want a syslog collector
that will also display reasonable stats and help me to figure out where
all the bandwidth is going when it suddenly goes sluggish.  And I want
to be a rock star too, ok?

Thanks.

-=-=-
... I'm not a tube snob, I'm a Thermionic Elitist