Brad on 29 Apr 2008 06:15:52 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Testing ethernet/cat5 wiring

Does your network switch that these users are plugged into have snmp monitoring you could turn on? If you know who is plugged in where, then that makes it a little easier to see if it's a user downloading something or maxing out the network.

Maybe try graphing it with mrtg for windows. http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/

Sometimes though, I know people have issues with slow connections when their system and the network switch are configured differently. For example, if the switch is set to auto and the pc is set to full/100, sometimes that will conflict with the switch and cause some slowness. Usually resetting the desktop to auto will clear up the collisions. But if it's detecting the wrong speeds, then set both the switch port and the pc to full/100.

Also, did you make your cables or did you buy them?

-Brad