Brian Vagnoni on 29 Apr 2008 06:53:12 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Testing ethernet/cat5 wiring

From: Brad [mailto:bderstine@gmail.com]
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List [mailto:plug@lists.phillylinux.org]
Sent: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:28:17 -0400
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Testing ethernet/cat5 wiring

That's a hard bet not to take. As someone who's made plenty of cables too, trust me, it's probably the cable.

If store bought ones work, then that's $30-40 worth of a problem fixed. Or just remake the cables.

Why did you have to remake cables in the first place?

-Brad

I could no doubt make a patch cable up in under 3 minutes, that's both ends.

I've pulled and run quite a lot of cable in my days, it's easily up in the the 100's if not 1000's of miles so it's something I'm very good at. The electrons are color blind, all they see is a path and while interlead capacitance becomes an issue at RF speeds. For the most part if you are neat and consistent in your work it shouldn't be a problem. A crimp is no different than a splice, the electrons don't care they take the path of least resistance.

If you are a business you can purchase good quality patch cables cheap for like a $1.00 at ADI, with or without booties. Anything over 25 feet I make myself and I don't even cheat with those expensive connectors with the holes that you can pass the wires through and out the end.  Couplers in my experience are usually the first point of failure though I use them in a pinch sometimes. I have to set an example at work for a lot of unqualified people and if I use a coupler I will end up seeing jobs done with 20 of them connecting 20 3 foot patch cables.

Make sure your run is not longer than 300 feet or 100 meters as that is the max for Ethernet. Make sure you are not using CAT3 you must use CAT5 or CAT5E or better. Shielded CAT5 in independent testing is no better, unless you are running a high voltage guard on your shield line but that's more for lab work.

Brian Vagnoni
PGP Digital Fingerprint
F076 6EEE 06E5 BEEF EBBD BD36 F29E 850D FC32 3955