Brian Vagnoni on 29 Apr 2008 07:05:30 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Testing ethernet/cat5 wiring

Just to be clear Brent I wasn't talking about a $700 - $1000 CAT5 Certification tester. Most wire testers I use can be purchased for the price of a voltage meter or less. Voltage meter testing is very annoying trying to insert big leads in little places. I believe in being professional, professionals use the correct tool for the job. We just have a difference of philosophy here Brent.

A loop back connector has got to be the cheapest solution of all. You can't get much cheaper than $0.10.

Brent you also need to know what you have in the first place, that's basic trouble shooting & test and measurement 101. I've seen voltage meter continuity testers give unclear results.