Art Alexion on 30 Apr 2008 05:12:35 -0700

[PLUG] Saving data from a precarious drive

I have a 200 GB IDE drive that recently stopped being detected by the BIOS.
After I did a dist-upgrade and was forced to reboot, the drive reappeared.
The drive had not given me problems prior to disappearing.  I still don't
trust it and am ordering a replacement.

Once the replacement arrives I want to copy the contents, mostly audio files,
to the new drive, but don't want to do it in a way that will tax the drive
and make it fail during the copy.

My first thought was rsync, but I am concerned about the effect this
(transferring ~180 GB at once) may have on the precarious drive.

Another thought was to just copy a little at a time, giving it a chance to
rest in between, but am reminded that sometimes turning things on and off
causes more wear than being left on.

What are the best practices in this situation?