Marty O'Brien on 30 Apr 2008 07:07:34 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Saving data from a precarious drive

I'm not an expert in this area, but it seems to me that something as "stress free" as possible would include copying the entire partition. The reason I say this is that the read heads would only need to move in a straight line across the platters, not back and forth like when copying files. It will also be the fastest (because there is no seek time between files). You can do this with your basic partition tools (parted), and if you have a GUI gparted is a great tool. I would just copy the partition to another drive (if you can plug it in hot, that would be best, but obviously, most systems don't support this). One possible downside is that if the drive fails before the entire partition is copied, it may be unusable, leaving you with nothing. I'm not sure how true this statement is, especially between different file systems.

If you go this route and use gparted, you might want to forgo the optimization tests because they may be taxing on the drive. Your risk, your call, though.

Just my thoughts...

--Marty O'Brien