Brian Stempin on 30 Apr 2008 07:02:41 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Saving data from a precarious drive

It really depends on what you think is wrong with the drive....

If you think that it's some sort of mechanical problem, you might just want to use dd.  This will take longer, but there should be little or no disk-thrashing, as dd will copy each sector in order.

If you think that you're time is limited regardless of your route (ie, an electronics problem), then go for a file-level copy of some sort.  Sure, this will cause more mechanical strain, but it will take less time.