Brian Vagnoni on 9 May 2008 16:36:59 -0700

Re: [PLUG] inexpensive network scanner or MFP?

From: Chad Vogelsong [mailto:csv@gamebox.net]
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List [mailto:plug@lists.phillylinux.org]
Sent: Fri, 09 May 2008 16:01:04 -0400
Subject: [PLUG] inexpensive network scanner or MFP?

I'm looking for an inexpensive (less than $300) MFP for home network
use. Right now I have a Lexmark X215. It has the multi-page scanner,
but it only works when attached directly to a Windows PC via USB. Even
then, you have to scan each page into Adobe Acrobat individually. What
a PITA!

I have it on a Hawking print server so it can be used as a network
printer so it's only a printer, copier and fax machine now. I don't
want to keep a PC on full time for it.

What I would like is something that connects via ethernet. Ideally, a
MFP N&W laser printer with b&w / color scanning to PDF. It should be
able to put those PDF's on a network share (Windows or Samba) or an FTP
site or just e-mail them. If it only did one of those, I would be
happy. I don't care if it faxes or not. I would also consider just a
scanner that plugs into a network with similar functions.

I have an HP Officejet 6310, small footprint, networked and it works with MAC, Linux(scan, fax, print) & of course Windows.

Just got a HP Officejet J6480 for a client but don't know whether or not if it is supported by Linux.

As far as HP printers go and Linux check out for compatibility

http://hplip.sourceforge.net/