JP Vossen on 13 May 2008 13:06:56 -0700

[PLUG] Bad capacitors on motherboards

A while ago I had an odd problem with an old IBM desktop or three.  It
turned out to be capacitors on the motherboard that went bad
(http://groups.google.com/group/pantug/browse_thread/thread/616c2fbd81ff6c98/f8bdaacd04c12124?lnk=gst&q=capacitors).
  And it turns out this is a much more wide-spread problem than I
realized (http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=2).

This time it's a small fanless backup PC.  2 out of 7 capacitors are
obviously bad, but I'll replace all of them just to be safe
(http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=UHZ1C152MPMvirtualkey64700000virtualkey647-UHZ1C152MPM).
  $6 for the parts and $6 for S&H.  Sigh.

If you have a PC that suddenly won't turn on or POST, if it isn't the
power supply it may be this.  If you open up the case and see exploded
or "swollen" capacitors, that's the problem.  See
http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=2 for details and pictures.

Later,
JP