Tim Allen on 14 May 2008 07:51:49 -0700

[PLUG] OpenSim running under Mono

Hey gang,

I just thought I’d share that I have gotten OpemSim running on Linux under Mono using MySQL as a backed. For those of you who don’t know, OpenSim is an open source effort to allow hosting of virtual worlds compatible with the Second Life viewer. The SL protocol was reverse engineered under the libsecondlife project, and OpenSim has taken this a step further by allowing you to host your own virtual grid. They have working versions of the grid server, user server, asset server, inventory server, and simulator servers.

It is pretty cool, and will work with SQLite, MySQL or MS-SQL for storage. There were a few tweaks needed on the installation, but overall, it went very smoothly under RHEL4. Getting our own grid up and running might be a cool way to hold future meetings; in fact, using Darwin Streaming Server and a Mac, we could stream PLUG presentations via video into the virtual world.

I’m considering doing a presentation on open source virtual world options at a meeting of the Philadelphia Future Salon. More information on OpenSim can be found here:

http://www.opensimulator.org

Regards,

-Tim / Flip