Brian Vagnoni on 16 May 2008 13:36:02 -0700

Re: [PLUG] plug Digest, Vol 42, Issue 28

From: bridget cady [mailto:bridgetcady@hotmail.com]
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: Fri, 16 May 2008 10:06:08 -0400
Subject: Re: [PLUG] plug Digest, Vol 42, Issue 28

Hi Brian.
If I get accepted into the Peace Corps I am hoping to get sent to the Pacific region.
Unfortunately, Tough Books are a way out of my price range.
As far as what I'll need - good battery life, as electricity might not be reliable, a web-browser, a multimedia player, and the open office suite should do me just fine. I'm interested in something that doesn't use alot of energy/has no or few moving parts as it is going to be hot, humid and dirty out there.
I'm considering the EEE pc, but I'd really love to get the OLPC. Unfortunately it looks like they are no longer offering the give one get one option. Does anyone have any idea how I could get my hands on one (besides ebay)?

Thanks for the quick response,
Bridget

> Hello Bridget;
>
> What do you expect to be able to do with this laptop out in the wild? E-Mail, Web, what kind of apps do you need to or want to run?
>
> Panasonic Tough Books are the most rugged laptops you can buy. They are designed for extremely environments, many police & fire departments, as well as the US military use them. However, they are not cheap but in your case spending the extra money mite be worth it. You want something that is going to have good battery life, a screen that will be bright enough to be seen in the direct sun light, and something that uses WWAN(preferably GSM or EDVO).

Tough Books are out of my price range as well so don't feel bad :-). They are nonetheless cool. The SSD is a very good suggestion. Plus you always have to worry about the power over there to. 50hz, 60hz, 110v, 220v, Y or Delta power distribution systems, adapters ...etc you mite be better off with a car battery and an inverter :-)

Brian