Brian Vagnoni on 25 May 2008 20:20:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] OT: Traveling With Your Laptop Over The Border

From: Douglas Muth [mailto:doug.muth@gmail.com]
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List [mailto:plug@lists.phillylinux.org]
Sent: Sun, 25 May 2008 23:09:11 -0400
Subject: Re: [PLUG] OT: Traveling With Your Laptop Over The Border

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 11:06 PM, Brian Vagnoni <bvagnoni@v-system.net> wrote:
> With the travel season here, take care when you travel with your laptop over
> the US border. The TSA is indiscriminately grabbing peoples laptops and if
> they do, you wouldn't get it back for at least 2 weeks after they do a
> forensic scan of all your private data. They are looking for stuff. I've
> talked with Infosec friends about this trying to find out what the guide
> lines are, and there are none.

I've heard of laptops being searched, but not kept for 2 weeks. Are
you aware of any instances in which this has actually happened?
Something with a link to a news source would preferred.

Thanks,

-- Doug

Here is the article from CNN. CNN speaks about people not getting them back at all here in the US. Just so you know Philadelphia is the worst airport for stolen and or missing luggage.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/02/11/laptop.searches/index.html?iref=newssearch

This one below happened to someone I saw speak but in England.

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/04/gsm-researcher.html