Erek Dyskant on 25 May 2008 20:53:44 -0700

Re: [PLUG] OT: Traveling With Your Laptop Over The Border

On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 03:37 +0000, mdecheser@comcast.net wrote:

> On a somewhat related note, does anyone know if China allows VPN or SSH connections out of country inbound to the US?  I am planning a trip to the country for some time this year, but if I can't crete a secure tunnel between my laptop and my office network, there's no reason for me to bring it in the first place.  It's not leaving the country with it or finding out it's useless when I get there, it's the chance of having it confiscated when I come home that bothers me.

China does allow VPN and SSH access, provided that your VPN's IP address
isn't specifically blacklisted (Hosted on the same IP address [or
netblock in rare cases] as a blacklisted website).  Every foreign
company operating in China uses VPN tunnels, so if they blocked VPNs the
economy would literally collapse.

Personally, even with encryption I'd be loathe to travel in China with a
laptop that has HIPAA data on it.  Too many situations where you'd be
asked to provide the passphrase and need to defend your decision not to
provide it.  Find a different clean laptop to bring with you, or replace
the hard drive with a clean one for the trip.