Penelope Stowe on 26 May 2008 03:56:52 -0700

Re: [PLUG] OT: Traveling With Your Laptop Over The Border

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 11:26 PM, Michael Leone
> So it was only 1 British citizen that actually had her laptop seized, 2
> years ago? The article doesn't mention any other seizes of laptops,
> specifically - just "The lawsuit was inspired by two dozen cases, 15 of
> which involved searches of cellphones, laptops, MP3 players and other
> electronics". Searches doesn't necessarily mean seizure.
>

> --
> Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
> <mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>
>
> PGP Fingerprint: 0AA8 DC47 CB63 AE3F C739 6BF9 9AB4 1EF6 5AA5 BCDF
> Photo Gallery: <http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeleonephotos>

My brother, a US citizen, had his laptop seized about a year and a
half ago when returning from school. (He goes to college in Scotland.)
It took them about 2 months to return to him. He's lucky that he was
taking a semester off as he would not have gotten in back before he
returned to school otherwise. It took threats of lawyers before he got
it back. To this day we don't actually know why they seized it. We
think they may have thought he was trafficking drugs as he was 20 and
his list of "what countries have you been in since last being in the
US" was long and included quite a bit of Eastern Europe.

I spent 3 weeks in the UK over this past winter and had no problems,
but I was paranoid so very careful. Also, I was in one location for
the 3 weeks and that was it. I don't know if I'll have  more problems
this summer when I'll be in 3 different European countries in about a
month.

Penelope