Matthew Rosewarne on 1 Jun 2008 14:01:21 -0700

Re: [PLUG] "tripewire" clones (fcheck)

On Sunday 01 June 2008, JP Vossen wrote:
> Anyone else have stories or suggestions to share?

I'm a big fan of debsums with the "tiger" package, which includes a cron
script to check all files installed from packages.  It doesn't cover any
files other than what the package manager installs, which means you can use
another HIDS set only to watch non-system stuff.  That way, updates don't set
off your HIDS.

On my desktop machine, I run debsums only.  I back up $HOME with rdiff-backup.
which shows me if any files were changed.

For more substantial setups, the Prelude system looks interesting, though it
currently only supports OSSEC and Samhain.