Brian Vagnoni on 8 Jun 2008 10:12:32 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Traveling w/ Laptop

From: jim fisher [mailto:jedijf@myfisher.org]
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 19:57:59 -0400
Subject: [PLUG] Traveling w/ Laptop

Just got around to reading my May CRYPTO-GRAM, but found this :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/may/15/computing.security
The only issue I have with encrypting my data is that if it is detected it looks to them like you are trying to hide something. Encrypted data is just not mere random bits on your hard drive. They all have signatures and can easily be detected by knowledgeable personnel with the right tools.

The idea here is to sail through customs without getting held up or have your laptop confiscated. Leave your data at home, or any content(programs you don't have a license for, music, videos, ..etc) that is considered illegal by most people in most nations.  Once you are at where you are going, considering there will be broadband available just use vpn or ssh to your server and get what you need.

If you have a lot of data consider something like Black Armor from http://www.maxtor.com, of course back it up before your leave. They mite not look at a device like that especially if it has been checked. A drive like that is much easier to replace than your laptop. Also if your data is backed up then all you are out is the cost of an external hard drive, and the personal cost of being violated.

Also, consider using Fedex or UPS, not the USPS to ship your equipment and or content to the hotel that you are going to be staying at. At least you are insured if something happens to the equipment.

The most important advice I can give to travelers when dealing with personnel at the airport, don't be a jerk(no dumb jokes), don't be drunk, don't make yourself stick out; and most importantly be honest & nice  The nail that sticks out gets hammered. All, you have to do is watch cops to see what happens to people who are jerks.

Happy traveling with your gear.