Mag Gam on 9 Jun 2008 03:18:50 -0700

Re: [PLUG] change inode info?

So, when creating a very large filesystem how do you avoid a problem like this? I plan on creating a 2TB file system, would hate to go thru this....

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 10:58 PM, David Colon <dcolon@dcolon.org> wrote:
On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:
> I should remember this from the "what is a file?" December meeting.  I've run
> into a problem backing up a precarious HD to another.  The target drive is
> 500 GB, but I am running into "no space left on drive" after 182 GB.
>
> IIRC, the original filesystem may have been created by dd_rescue in the course
> of backing up a 200 GB drive with ~100 GB of data from a 111 GB partition.  I
> am trying to add another 101 GB from another drive and it is failing for lack
> of space.  cfdsk reports that the partition is ~500 GB, so I assume this is
> an inode problem.
>
> Short of starting over with some other strategy is there anything I can do?
>
> Rsync output below:
>
> building file list ... rsync: opendir "/mnt/m4/lost+found" failed: Permission
> denied (13)
> done
> m4/csny1969-12-06e.flac16/
> m4/csny1969-12-06e.flac16/03-Long_Time_Gone.flac
> rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes [sender]: Broken pipe (32)
> rsync: write failed
> on "/media/esata/m4/csny1969-12-06e.flac16/03-Long_Time_Gone.flac": No space
> left on device (28)
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (36 bytes received so far) [sender]
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(454)
> [sender=2.6.9]

df -i will show you if you have run out of inodes. If you have run out
of inodes, there is no way to add more to the partition. You need to
recreate the partition with mkfs. After you do this, check the total
number of inodes on the newly created filesystem. If it is the same,
you will want to recreate the filesystem again but this time use the
-i flag to specify the number of inodes. Generally, you should not
have to use the -i flag.

David
http://tributetogrr.blogspot.com