David Colon on 9 Jun 2008 12:56:26 -0700

Re: [PLUG] change inode info?

Using the default values for mkfs, ie not using the -i flag, you
should be fine. I don't think I've ever run out of inodes on a
filesystem that I created with default values. You could run out of
inodes if your filesystem will have a ton of small files. To figure
that out, create your new filesystem with mkfs. Then run df -i
/newfilesystem and note the total number of inodes. That number is the
total number of files your filesystem is capable of having.

Here's an example:
dcolon@tranquilo:~$ df -h .
/dev/sda1              16G  5.9G  9.3G  39% /
dcolon@tranquilo:~$ df -i .
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/sda1            2129920  184040 1945880    9% /

I've got a 16 gig filesystem mounted as /. That filesystem has a total
of 2129920 inodes. Note that I have used 39% of my allocated space yet
I've only used 9% of my allocated inodes. If I were to create 1945880
one byte files, I would run out of inodes before I ran out of
allocated space. Hopefully that makes sense.

David
http://tributetogrr.blogspot.com