Art Alexion on 9 Jun 2008 12:14:29 -0700

Re: [PLUG] change inode info?

On Sunday 08 June 2008 10:58:02 pm David Colon wrote:
> df -i will show you if you have run out of inodes. If you have run out
> of inodes, there is no way to add more to the partition. You need to
> recreate the partition with mkfs. After you do this, check the total
> number of inodes on the newly created filesystem. If it is the same,
> you will want to recreate the filesystem again but this time use the
> -i flag to specify the number of inodes. Generally, you should not
> have to use the -i flag.

Thanks for this tip.

Have not run it yet because I think the problem may be greater (or less) than
a failing drive.

Over the past 6 weeks three — and now four — hard drives have experienced
problems suddenly, and then, oddly, were suddenly healthy.

The first drive was a 200 GB IDE on a Promise IDE PCI card (hde).  It
disappeared from BIOS.  Then, suddenly, it reappeared and has been working
fine.

Then, last week, a 120 GB IDE (hdb) plugged directly into the mobo IDE port
didn't want to mount.  Now, its working fine.  That's the drive I was trying
to add to the backup of the 200.

Last night, a smaller 60 or 80 GB IDE (hda?) had similar problems.  By the end
of the evening, it was found.

This morning when I read this suggestion, I tried to run df -i, and dbus
couldn't get the backup drive's info.  The backup drive is an esata.

None of this stuff seems related, but its disconcerting.  The system/mobo is
new as of December.  Is there a common factor which could be causing this?