Michael Leone on 11 Jun 2008 11:59:10 -0700

Re: [PLUG] [almost OT] a week of Mondays

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 10:12 AM, jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:

You're a riot; why you aren't writing columns exclusively for a
living, I don't know.

> As anyone who has ever used a computer knows, you can't simply shut down
> a Windows machine, no sir.  2000 Server wants to install updates and
> shut down by default.

That's why you tell it not to do that, when you set the server up. :-)
I always configure Windows Update to just tell me when downloads are
available, not to do it. If it does it, then it want to install at
exit, as you  see.

>  If you're not paying careful attention this is
> what will happen.  Server 2003 isn't content to default to applying
> updates; it wants a reason for the shutdown.  As if `BECAUSE I SAID SO'
> weren't good enough.  I need to be second-guessed by an operating system
> from a state with even more rain than London.  An OS that needs to be
> rebooted, unlike any other OS, such as linux.

Do what everyone else does, and just arrow down to one of the built-in
reasons (such as hardware maintenance). As long as you choose one, you
won't need to enter a descriptive reason. Or shut it down remotely
(see below); you won't need a reason entered then (altho it is
helpful, for logging purposes).

> And then there's the other server.  It told me I wasn't allowed to log
> in because all the terminal server slots/licenses were being used.  Neat
> trick, especially at 7:30pm, when there's no possible way anybody else
> could be using it. This turned out to be what Microsoft undoubtedly
> refers to as a Feature of terminal services (as opposed to Yet Another
> Bug).  When people log out, the connection reads disconnected, but never
> bothers to go away.  I figure this is yet another facet of Windows, the
> Helpful Operating System.  It hasn't dropped the connection slot because
> it's helpfully holding it in case the person who dropped the connection
> wants to reconnect.

Exactly. I used to have a LOT of people who did exactly that - just
disconnect, not log off. This way, their session is at the exact same
state, when they come back from lunch or dinner, or whatever. They
just pick up where they left off.

It actually *is* a Feature, and a useful one, at that (from the
viewpoint of the remote user).

There's a command line command you can use to clear that, altho I
don't recall offhand what it is.

> If you're following along at home, I'm using a linux laptop with a
> Windows virtual machine, opon which is VPN software that connects me to
> work.  I have to remote desktop into a work server because certain other
> servers won't let me in.  In the case of other servers, I have to remote
> desktop into a different server so I can access terminal services for a
> third server, kicking off already disconnected sessions so I can start a
> real session to stop the machine in the first place (at which point it
> asks me if I'm sure and what's the reason I'm turning it off).
>
> Got it?

Yep.

You could have told the servers to shutdown from the command prompt of
another server, actually. Look at the "shutdown" command, and point it
at the server in question.

shutdown \\that-server-over-there /s (for shutdown, as opposed to restart)

A very amusing story (for those not you, in that situation). We can
all empathize, those who work in administration of machines.

If this is what your blog posts look like, I really must subscribe ...

--
Michael J. Leone
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

Life is a tragedy for those who feel, a comedy for those who think,
and a cereal for those who are hungry ...