Tim Allen on 11 Jun 2008 14:53:37 -0700

Re: [PLUG] How to figure out my UPS needs

Most of the affordable battery solutions ($100 - $200) will buy you about 15
- 20 minutes for a few devices, and excellent surge protection (much better
than surge strips). I have three - one has both my cable modem and router
plugged into it, which lasts about 20-25 minutes during an outage for our
laptops. I have another for my TiVo which now lasts about 20 minutes, but
used to last 10-15 when I required a cable box be on as well (the new TiVo
takes cable cards, hoorah). The third I just use for the extra surge
protection, since we get power spikes, so I keep all my expensive but
delicate electronics on consumer grade battery backups.

If you're looking for a day or more, you're going to want to look at either
a natural gas or diesel failover system. These start their pricing in the
$20,000 range.

It is kind of ridiculous that there is really no solution between 15 minutes
and 15 hours, isn't it? I mean, you could buy a gas generator, but that
would require you to go outside, fire it up like a lawnmower, and keep gas
on hand.

BTW, I'm by no means an expert in this field, just my experience over the
years.

Regards,

-Tim