brent timothy saner on 12 Jun 2008 22:12:41 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu desktop vs server kernel

JP Vossen wrote:
> Does anyone know the significant differences between the Ubuntu Hardy
> linux-generic and linux-server kernels?
>
> apt-cache show linux-generic linux-server:
> 	"This package will always depend on the latest complete..."
> 		"generic Linux kernel available"
> 		"Linux kernel available for Server Equipment"
>
> ...doesn't tell me a whole lot.  Is it really just different hardware
> support?  Or is there other tuning?
>
> My use-case is an Xubuntu desktop used solely for running VMware
> Workstation, but it does live on a Dell PE850 1u server chassis.
>
> Recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
> JP

TOTAL shot in the dark, but i think the server kernel is a bit more
hardened, and the generic actually has *MORE* hardware support (more usb
devices, more hotpluggable device support, etc.).

--
brent saner.
gpg info at http://www.notebookarmy.org/gpg.txt

grep -i hotchicks *