Casey Bralla on 14 Jun 2008 04:22:13 -0700

[PLUG] Database Front Ends - Similar to MS Access

Back in the good old days (aka "the Stone Age"), I was quite an expert in
Foxpro.  Using stone knives and bear skins, I wrote several applications in
Foxpro that were pretty complex and effective.

A few years ago (think "Bronze Age"), I wrote a couple of reasonably complex
applications in MS Access.

Now it's time to move into the current age, and I want to use an open source
database front end.

I've already got a very large, but relatively primitive database application
in mySQL.  Unfortunately, it's got a series of overly complex interlocking
custom python scripts and web pages to view and manipulate the data.

I want to start using an open source front end to mySQL that will let me
continue to run my mySQL applications, but give me improved maintainability
and a path to eventually eliminate the existing scripts.

I'm considering 4 applications, each with it's pluses and minuses:

1.  Rekall.
Very nice and reasonably vibrant development.  A few quirky things I don't
like, but my best choice so far.

2.  Knoda
I like the style of this, but it looks like development stopped in 2004.
Also, it does not seem as well developed as Rekall

3.  Kexi
I like the style of this one, especially as it ties in with KDE (my preferred
desktop), but it won't interface to an existing mySQL database.  (You have
to "import" the database, which is then separate from the original operating
database.)

4.  OpenOffice Base
I couldn't get the darn thing to work.  Probably a good long term strategy
because it will continue to be developed, but way too awkward to use for me.

Am I missing any?   Which would you use?

--

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence