Morgan Jones on 14 Jun 2008 07:49:22 -0700

[PLUG] utility to image a linux host?

I was talking to a coworker recently about 'flarcreate,' a solaris
utillity that creates an image of a system that can be used to re-create
a system either manually or via Jumpstart.  It's very handy for
re-creating production environments in test or taking an ad-hoc backup,
say, before an upgrade.

Does such a utility exist for Linux (RHEL/Debian/Ubuntu)?  I know it can
be done with dd but I'm looking for error checking and some awareness of
the filesystem.  In particular, flarcreate will not backup empty space
and can be told to exclude paths.

thanks,

-morgan