Matthew Rosewarne on 16 Jun 2008 20:24:42 -0700

[PLUG] re-locate (formerly "Re: Which Process is Thrashing my Disk?")

On Monday 16 June 2008, Louis Kratz wrote:
> A shot in the dark might be to see if slocate is running.  I find that
> I/O slowdowns on my laptop are usually attributed to updatedb (the
> indexer for slocate).  I find the software invaluable, but find its
> usually the cause of my I/O slowdowns.

I used to avoid running locate/slocate entirely due to disk thrashing.  More
recently I've started using mlocate, which is similar to slocate with the
addition of a timestamp database, so it will ignore any directory trees that
haven't changed since the last update.  Since it doesn't need to scan the
entire FS every update, it runs much more quickly with much less thrashing,
so you can update far more frequently.