Brian Vagnoni on 14 Jun 2008 12:41:59 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Which Process is Thrashing my Disk?

atop? Requires kernel patch from what I've read.

You could use kill in a process of elimination guessing method. Kill process until the light stops blinky blinky.

I also found this script:

#!/bin/sh
case "$1" in --pids) SEL=2;; --procs) SEL=1;;
--files|*) SEL=9;; # how come I can't use NF?
esac; for tree in home proc dev usr var; do
echo -n "/$tree: "; lsof -w -n -a -d0-10 -a +D \
/$tree|grep '[0-9][urw]'|awk --assign VAR="$SEL" \
'{print $VAR}'|sort|uniq|xargs; done; exit 0

You could look at which processes are using the most virtual memory assuming you have a swap, right?

Pulling out the books so I may have more info for you.

Brian Vagnoni
PGP Digital Fingerprint
F076 6EEE 06E5 BEEF EBBD  BD36 F29E 850D FC32 3955