Michael Leone on 14 Jun 2008 13:31:14 -0700

Re: [PLUG] utility to image a linux host?

JP Vossen wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Morgan Jones <morgan@morganjones.org>
> wrote:
>>> I was talking to a coworker recently about 'flarcreate,' a solaris
>>> utillity that creates an image of a system that can be used to
>>> re-create a system either manually or via Jumpstart. It's very
>>> handy for re-creating production environments in test or taking an
>>> ad-hoc backup, say, before an upgrade.
>>>
>>> Does such a utility exist for Linux (RHEL/Debian/Ubuntu)? I know it
>>> can be done with dd but I'm looking for error checking and some
>>> awareness of the filesystem. In particular, flarcreate will not
>>> backup empty space and can be told to exclude paths.
>
> I'm not familiar with 'flarcreate' (nice play on words though), but
> based on your description, these might interest you:
>
> G4L - Ghost for Linux
> 	http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l

I've used this; it was the only one of Ghost and Clonezilla and
DriveImageXML that was able to properly copy one of my ext3 disk. I was
slightly confused by the menu, but then, I'm old and stupid. :-)

--
Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

People believe in the unseeable, but will not see the unbelievable.
                                 -- "Dark Season", Rusell T. Davies