JP Vossen on 14 Jun 2008 11:13:46 -0700

Re: [PLUG] utility to image a linux host?

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Morgan Jones <morgan@morganjones.org>
wrote:

>> I was talking to a coworker recently about 'flarcreate,' a solaris
>> utillity that creates an image of a system that can be used to
>> re-create a system either manually or via Jumpstart. It's very
>> handy for re-creating production environments in test or taking an
>> ad-hoc backup, say, before an upgrade.
>>
>> Does such a utility exist for Linux (RHEL/Debian/Ubuntu)? I know it
>> can be done with dd but I'm looking for error checking and some
>> awareness of the filesystem. In particular, flarcreate will not
>> backup empty space and can be told to exclude paths.

I'm not familiar with 'flarcreate' (nice play on words though), but
based on your description, these might interest you:

G4L - Ghost for Linux
	http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l
g4u - Ghost for Unix: Harddisk Image Cloning for PCs
	http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/
Clonezilla, the opensource clone system (ext2/3, LVM2, FAT, NTFS and more)
	http://clonezilla.sourceforge.net/
Similar to GHOST Software, has a low-end free edition
	http://www.miray.de/products/sat.hdclone.html
Partition Imager (Open Source) for Linux, some NTFS
	http://www.partimage.org/
System Imager (Open Source) for Linux
	http://www.systemimager.com/
Cloning machines with dd and nc
	http://www.rajeevnet.com/hacks_hints/os_clone/os_cloning.html
Copy entire hard drives
	http://www.pcinspector.de/clone-maxx/uk/welcome.htm
FAI (Fully Automatic Installation) for Debian
	http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/

HTH,
JP