Casey Bralla on 14 Jun 2008 11:04:23 -0700

[PLUG] Which Process is Thrashing my Disk?

Lately my computer occasionally becomes unexpectedly bogged down by massive
disk I/O.   My CPU utilization is low, but because of the high disk I/O, the
system is **very** sluggish.

I've got DMA enabled on my disks, so I think I've minimized the effect of disk
I/O on my system, but I can't figure out which process is causing all the
activity.

Is there a version of "top" that will show the I/O activity by process instead
of CPU activity?
--

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence