Mag Gam on 18 Jun 2008 04:04:24 -0700

Re: [PLUG] ext3 and lvm

How does the stride value affect HW RAID 5 with stripe of 256k?
Do I need to do anything special when creating a pv in LVM? I am not partitioning the disk. I would like everything to be aligned properly for performance.

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 3:47 AM, Matthew Rosewarne <mrosewarne@inoutbox.com> wrote:
On Tuesday 17 June 2008, Mag Gam wrote:
> does anyone understand the concept of stride on ext3? Simple question, but
> a lot of people can't answer it in detail or really really understand the
> underlying concept.

While the stride value certainly has implications for RAID-0 or RAID-5, I'm
not sure there's much of an impact with only LVM.  Unless you're doing
something really strange (or using striped LVs), most of an LV's extents are
going to be contiguous on the disk, so it presumably wouldn't matter if your
fs isn't aligned to the extent size.

(Admittedly, this isn't really a proper answer to your question, but the
explanation is fairly long and I'm tired.  Now get off'a my lawn!)